Thursday, September 23, 2010

Wedding Veil Tutorials

This is the first in a series of 3 tutorials I am doing for the new Forum I joined called Off Beat Bride Tribe.  I love this Forum, such a variety of people and I never feel bad for going away from the traditional.  They are super low drama and very supportive which is exactly what I need right now.  I love my Bridesmaids and Friends but I am sure they do not want to hear non-stop about my wedding planning.

And here it is!
I've finally gotten around to working on a veil for my Cousin's Wedding coming up. 

Honestly girls Veils are EASY PEESY!  You can buy 60" wide bridal tulle from Vogue Fabrics, Mood, Joanne, and numerous other places.  Remember in most cases this is a one day item and you do not have to spend $50-$200 on it.  For this I spent about $15 and patience.

It is always best to buy more then you need for this in Tulle.  I got 2 yards of 60" wide white tulle from Vogue Fabrics about $12.00 and a silver Hair comb from Joanne's for about $3.00 (I had coupons)
I opened up the tulle flat on my table and folded it in half to make it easier and more even for when I cut it.  I put weights on both sides to keep it from slipping off and flat.

I measured to make this go past the chin 3" (giving yourself some room to play with for length and you can trim it off later.
With tape measure I figured from 3" past the chin up to the back of the head where the bun is supposed to be for the front veil length which for me ended up being 18"
For the back the measurement was similar from that same spot where the Bun will be I measured back to be down past the shoulder blades making it 22".  It seems strange that they are only 4" in difference but you have to remember depending on the placement of the hair you have the crown of your head to account for the front.

After the Measurements I stabilize the Tulle by hand basting a bright colored thread.  DO NOT knot or tie this off.  This is just a place holder and you will want to be able to easily pull this out at the end.
I made 3 long straight lines at the ends of the front and back measurements for the veil and the middlepoint where it will attach to the bun with the comb.

I tested to make sure of the lengths before doing my shaping my safety pinning the tulle to the comb at the middle point. and trying it on again.  You might actually find that you like the drape of the sharp corners of a rectangular veil then a traditional rounded one.  Just play with it before you cut it.

Once the Lengths are good for what you envisioned lay it all out again.  For good measure I folded it in half yet again so that I only had to concentrate on getting a perfect 1/4 circle/oval instead of a 1/2 circle.
Using my ruler as a compass point I patiently hand basted the shape for the Veil.
Tried it on again to check in the mirror that it was going to fall the way I intended it to.  When I was satisfied with the shape I laid it out flat with weights to begin cutting it.
After cutting it out this was the end product just loosely attached to the Comb.

You can see the major shape difference and how when the front layer is pulled back it is on a different level then the back layer.

Next up to bead the Comb and embellish the veil!
The most Important thing about working with Tulle is to have a Large flat hard surface, Weights to hold down the four sides and Clean basting stitches out of a bright thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment