Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Just for Starters

In this blog it is much more personal and probably not as much fun for you since it will be a lot of text and not so many pictures. It is serving as sort of my online wedding planner and diary of the process also my Maid of Honor experiences for my Best friend.  If you feel so inclined please comment, it may help me out or someone else who might have stumbled upon this.
To give a summary I’m not even “engaged” yet as I write this. My boyfriend and I of over 6 years just looked at engagement bands/settings last Friday February 26th, 2010. Here is a little background about us. We knew each other from freshman year of High School 1995, always in the same group of friends. He was in Marching Band and I was in Orchestra, both loved video games and computers and had very oddball friends. I usually just harassed me a lot, I was sort of this weird Napoleon type bully in school because I am a small Asian girl but I let my presence be known all the time. We weren’t close enough to ever keep in touch but after college having a similar group of friends we started to hang out playing scary video games while everyone was trying to figure out, “What the hell do I do after college?”. One thing led to another and we were dating. About a year later we got a promise ring. We knew we would be married someday. Trials and tribulations we are still here together and on the cusp of engagement.

For years we have had open conversations about our future wedding. I had nothing set in stone except the engagement ring I thought I wanted. My only hopes were to be married at my home church and somehow involve using my parent’s country club Wedgewood in some way to make them happy.
We went to a wedding last year for his Cousin and just hated it. We looked around and everything felt like a big waste of money to us. Wedding colors (fuchsia, turquoise and gold) that made favors unpractical for outside use, extravagant catering that was sub-par, renting out a reception space that was ill fitted for the number of guests and where only a handful of tables could see what was going on with the wedding party. We knew that the amount of money you spend does not determine the experience of the wedding.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the soon to be engagement!? I've recently been roped into planning my boyfriend's brother's wedding and it's not fun. I usually like party planning, but this thing is daunting. It's been a delicate balance of trying to please the bride, groom, families, and guests. My only advice is to do what you and your fiance really want to do because you cannot make everyone happy, and well this is YOUR day. The people that come to your wedding should just be happy that you are happy.

    From watching wedding shows on TV, I've learned that the average cost of a typical wedding these days are $20,000! The biggest chunk of that being the reception hall rental and dinner (usually included together in one price depending on the dish you choose). I have yet to have been to a wedding where the dinner was really that good. The hors d'oeuvres on the other hand have been excellent. Which leads me to one of the TV episodes I saw where the couple had their reception at a nice lounge that opened out to a patio. Guests not having to be secluded to their tables for dinner mingled about and ate well with the many kinds of hors d'oeuvres that were offered instead. Just a neat alternative and good way to not be wasteful paying for food that a lot of people might not enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the Advice Amanda! i appreciate it

    ReplyDelete